1. Caviar hails from the Turkish word havyar which comes from khayah, the Persian word for egg
2. Most of the world’s caviar is produced in the Caspian Sea
3. The people who make caviar are called Ikrjanschik. Before making caviar they must undergo an apprenticeship that lasts anywhere from 10 to 15 years.
4. Real caviar ranges in color from light to dark gray and yellow-gray to brown-black. Red ‘caviar’ doesn’t come from sturgeon, it is actually salmon roe
5. The highest quality of Beluga caviar is called Almas, which means “diamond” in Russian