A classic Southern delicacy that is great served with fried seafood and pork BBQ.
- 1½ cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ cup very finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup beer
- oil for frying (enough for 2-inches deep of oil in pan being used)
- Pour oil do a depth of 2-3 inches into a heavy-bottom pot. Heat to 350-degrees F.
- While oil is heating whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in onion and beaten eggs until well combined. Add beer; stir well to combine.
- Working in batches, carefully drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into 350-degrees F oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown, turning as they fry to evenly cook. Carefully transfer hushpuppies using a slotted spoon (or Chinese spider strainer) to a paper towel-lined baking sheet or cooling rack to drain and cool.